With every death comes rebirth. The end of an existence brings around the onset of new life. Old relationships die and new ones arise. Thus closing a short-lived chapter in my life. Yesterday, sigh, I cancelled my one month free membership to Netflix. During the cancellation process, Netflix asked me survey questions about my experience. At first it wasn't bad, just simple questions like "How was the quality of our movies?" or "Were our DVD's sent in a timely manner?" But then they got deeper and more personal. Question after question I felt worse and worse about deleting my account. I was flooded with emotions.
Remorse.
Guilt.
Infidelity.
I quickly cradled Netflix, holding her close, reassuring her. More questions. Pleading for mercy.
"What did we do wrong...?"
"Are you coming back...?"
"Is it another entertainment provider...?"
This quickly turned into the most harrowing break up of my life. "It's not you, Netflix, it's me..." I deeply sighed and clicked Cancel Subscription. It was over. Quick and easy. Like ripping off a Band-Aid.
------------
Two hours later, a girl I was with wanted to watch Mean Girls. Neither of us own it. Luckily, Blockbuster doesn't mind being my rebound. We found the movie and I hoped they let you rent without a membership card. They don't.
Death and rebirth. The ending of Netflix. The beginning of a Blockbuster membership. Which is intense by the way. While filling out the new member form, I thought I may have to take out a restraining order on Blockbuster. They asked for everything from my credit card number to my pant size. But, it's done. I'm now a member of Blockbuster, and so far I have 1 rental on my history record.
I'll probably never use it again.
------------
Recently, I set off on a journey. A quest if you will. To conquer the 6 seasons of LOST, beginning with Season 1. I'm at Season 2. While I've only been heavily watching for almost a month now, I've noticed one thing. If these "castaways" would just have a little pow wow and tell each other all their secrets and tidbits of information they know, they wouldn't have been stuck on this "island" for 6 seasons like some modern day Gilligan's Island.

I know of way too many times I've counted one of the main cast members, caught in their little flashback montage, snap back to the island and suddenly realize some weird coincidence or clue. At that point, another character will ask them "Is something wrong? -- Are you ok?" and they reply "No, it's nothing." If they could just hash this shit out, they could have been off this island 3 seasons ago. Come on Jack, you're a doctor, you should be smart enough to think of that. One shining example -- *SPOILER ALERT*... really?? The shows been on for years. If you haven't watched yet, you obviously don't care enough to worry about it being spoiled-- When Hurley tries to stop Locke from blowing open "the hatch" because he recognizes the "cursed numbers" on the side of the hatch door, maybe if he had TOLD everyone about the numbers, what happened to him when he played them in the lottery, and why he thinks they're bad, they may have possibly stopped before blowing the door off the hinges.
Another thing, Season 1 Episode 2 or something... they killed a giant ass polar bear on the island. A polar bear. On an island. In the middle of the South Pacific. And no one thought that was weird? No one thought that was cause for concern? Next episode, they spoke nothing of it. They went about their daily island lives like they DIDN'T put down a polar bear the day before.
Katie - "Oh hey Sawyer, what'd you do yesterday?"
Sawyer - "Oh you know, Freckles, built a sand castle, picked mangoes, shot a polar bear... the usual stuff. Thinkin' 'bout takin' Big Foot out on a date tonight."
Ridiculous.
Plus, there's a "smoke monster" that lives out in the jungle. It's apparently some kind of "security system" for the island. It's fully capable of... somehow.. with its.. wisps of smoke, flinging a guy across the island. But yet, every episode we go traipsing around out in the jungle anyway. No big deal.

But still, no matter how crazy, inane, or ape-shit bonkers the show gets, it ALWAYS has that "What the frick" ending that makes one have to see the next episode. And no matter how many episodes I watch, I end up back in the exact same place: LOST.
I liked your intro. Your outro as well. Then the rest, I was lost. ;)
ReplyDelete